Intellectual property protection for e-commerce business methods in South Africa : envisioning an equitable model for SMEs in the tourism industry
- Caroline Ncube, Tobias Schonwetter, Jeremy de Beer, Chidi Oguamanam ‘A principled approach to intellectual property rights and innovation in the African Continental Free Trade Agreement’ in David Luke and Jamie Macleod (eds), Inclusive Trade in Africa: The African Continental Free Trade Area in Comparative Perspective (2019) Routledge 177 – 194
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Three Centuries and Counting: The Emergence and Development of Intellectual Property Law in Africa’ in Rochelle C Dreyfuss & Justine Pila (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Intellectual Property Law ( 2018) Oxford University Press 409 – 430
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Using Human Rights to Move Beyond Reformism to Radicalism: A2K for Schools, Libraries and Archives’ in Matthew Callahan and Jim Rogers (eds) A Critical Guide to Intellectual Property (2017) Zed Books 117- 143
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Calibrating Copyright for Creators and Consumers: Promoting Distributive Justice and Ubuntu’ in R. Giblin & K. Weatherall (eds.), What if We Could Reimagine Copyright?, Canberra: ANU Press, (2017) 253 – 280 – SSRN – Publisher’s version
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Data Protection in Zimbabwe’ in Alex B Makulilo (ed) African Data Privacy Laws (2016) Springer 99 – 116
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Intellectual Property protection of Traditional Knowledge and Access to Knowledge in South Africa’ in Matthew Rimmer (ed) Indigenous Intellectual Property: A Handbook of Contemporary Research (2015) Edward Elgar 543 – 564
- Caroline B Ncube and Eve Gray ‘South Africa & Zimbabwe: Silencing Critical Voices’ in Nagla Rizk, Carlos Affonso de Souza and Pranesh Parakesh (ed.s) Global Censorship: Shifting Modes, Persisting Paradigms (2015) Information Society Project, Yale Law School 53 – 64
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Fair is as fair does: Contractual normative regulation of copyright user contracts in South Africa’ in GB Dinwoodie (ed) Intellectual Property and General Legal Principles:Is IP a Lex Specialis? (2015) Edward Elgar 49–68
- Caroline B Ncube, Lucienne Abrahams and Titi Akinsanmi. ‘Effects of the South African IP Regime on Generating Value from Publicly Funded Research: An Exploratory Study of Two Universities’ in De Beer, J., Armstrong, C., Oguamanam, C. and Schonwetter, T. (eds.) (2013) Innovation and Intellectual Property: Collaborative Dynamics in Africa, University of Cape Town Press 282 – 315
- Caroline B Ncube and Debbie Collier-Reed ‘Intellectual Property’ in Fouche M.A. (ed) Legal principles of contracts and commercial law 7ed (2012) LexisNexis Butterworths 289-306
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Electronic Commerce’ (original text by D. Collier-Reed). In Fouche M.A. (ed) Legal principles of contracts and commercial law 7ed (2012) LexisNexis Butterworths 307 – 314
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Software Patents’ in S. Papadous and S. Snail (eds). Cyberlaw III @ SA the law of the internet in South Africa 3ed (2012) Van Schaik Publishers 123-136
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Contracts of insurance’ in D. Collier and K.H. Lehmann (eds), Basic Principles of Business Law (2010) LexisNexis Butterworths 291 – 307
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Electronic commerce’ (original text by D. Collier-Reed) in D. Collier and K.H. Lehmann (eds), Basic Principles of Business Law (2010) LexisNexis Butterworths 515 – 524
- with Schonwetter and Chetty, P. ‘South Africa’ in C. Armstrong, J. de Beer, D. Kawooya, A. Prabhala and T. Schonwetter (eds), Access to Knowledge in Africa: The Role of Copyright (2010) . Claremont, CPT: UCT Press 231-280.
- With Schonwetter T & Chetty P ‘A2K in South Africa and Copyright Regulation’ in A. Rens and R Khan (eds) Access to Knowledge in South Africa (2009) The Information Society Project at Yale Law School, 10-52
- Tobias Schonwetter, Caroline B Ncube and Pria Chetty ‘A2K in South Africa and the Copyright Context ‘ in A. Rens and R Khan (eds) Access to Knowledge in South Africa (2009) 53 – 112
- Corien Prins, Caroline B Ncube and W Singaga ‘Social, ethical and legal issues’ in Satish Jha and Leon Strous (ed.s) IFIP WITFOR 2007: ICT for development and prosperity (2007) IFIP Press, 145 – 159
- Caroline B Ncube ‘South Africa’ in Prof M Blackeney (ed.) Border Control of Intellectual Property Rights Sweet and Maxwell (looseleaf publication first published 2003, updated annually till 2010).
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Zimbabwe’ in Prof M Blackeney (ed.) Border Control of Intellectual Property Rights Sweet and Maxwell (looseleaf publication first published 2003, updated annually till 2010)
Journal articles [peer reviewed]
- Caroline B Ncube and Desmond O Oriakhogba ‘Monkey Selfie and Authorship in Copyright Law: The Nigerian and South African Perspectives’ PER / PELJ 2018(21) – DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/1727-3781/2018/v21i0a4979
- Jeremy De Beer, Jeremiah Baarbé and Caroline B Ncube ‘Evolution of Africa’s intellectual property treaty ratification landscape’ (2018) The African Journal of Information and Communication (AJIC), 22, 53-82. https://doi.org/10.23962/10539/26173
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Online copyright infringement, techno-cultural creations and the copyright–technology nexus’, (2018) Int. J. Private Law, Vol. 9, Nos. 1/2, 19–31.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The Creative Industry and South African Intellectual Property Law’ (2018) 11(2) Law and Development Review Published Online: 2018-04-24 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/ldr-2018-0030
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Decolonising Intellectual Property Law in Pursuit of Africa’s Development‘ (2016) 8(1) WIPO Journal 34 – 40
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Recent Developments in African Regulation of Cybercrime: An Overview of Proposed Changes to the South African Framework’ (2016) 19(7) Journal of Internet Law 3 -20
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Location is everything, on and offline: the Fairhaven domain name dispute’ (2015) 10 (11) Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 817- 818
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The politics of national intellectual property policy design and the provision of health services in South Africa’ (2015) 3 South African Intellectual Property Law Journal 15 – 39
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The draft national Intellectual Property Policy proposals for improving South Africa’s patent registration system: a review’ (2014) 9 (10) Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 822-829
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Harnessing Intellectual Property for Development: Some Thoughts On An Appropriate Theoretical Framework’ (2013) 16(4) Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal 370 – 396
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The Development of Intellectual Property Policies in Africa- Some Key Considerations and a Research Agenda‘ (2013) Intellectual Property Rights: Open Access
- Caroline B Ncube and Eliamani Laltaika ‘A new intellectual property organization for Africa?’ (2013) 8(2) Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 114 – 117
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Copyright Enforcement: The Graduated Response Takes Centre Stage’ ( 2012) 24(2) SA Mercantile Law Journal 133 – 147.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Equitable Intellectual Property Protection of Computer Programs in South Africa: Some Proposals for Reform’ (2012) 3 Stellenbosch Law Review 438 – 461.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Key copyright issues in African distance education: a South African case study’ (2011) Distance Education 32(2):269 – 275.
- Tobias Schonwetter and Caroline B Ncube ‘New hope for Africa? Copyright and access to knowledge in the digital age’. (2011) Info 13(3):64 – 74.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Transparency and accountability under the new company law (2010) Acta Juridica 43 – 72.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘When are complementary goods similar? Waterford Wedgewood PLC v Assembled Investments (Proprietary) Ltd’ (2010) 127(1) South African Law Journal 51 – 58.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Enforcing Patent Rights against Goods in Transit: A New Threat to Trans-Border Trade in Generic Medicines‘ (2009) 21 SA Merc LJ 768
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Pre-incorporation contracts: statutory reform’ (2009) 2 SALJ 255
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Protecting business methods in South Africa and Zimbabwe’ (2008) 2 International Journal of Intellectual Property Management 1.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘A proposal to curb excessive executive remuneration’ 2006 (2)Speculum Juris 259
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Watching the watcher: recent developments in privacy regulation and cyber-surveillance in South Africa’ (2006) 3:4 SCRIPT-ed 344 (at http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/script-ed/vol3-4/ncube.asp )
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The legal regulation of identity theft in South Africa’ 2005 (1) Speculum Juris 119.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘Africa confronts cyber-crime’ 2004 (2) Speculum Juris 312.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘A comparative analysis of Zimbabwean and South African Data Protection Systems’, The Journal of Information, Law and Technology (JILT) 2004 (1)http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/elj/jilt/2004_2/ncube/
- 1. ‘Intellectual Property Protocol’ in United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, African Union, African Development Bank and United Nations Conference on Trade and Development Assessing Regional Integration in Africa ARIA IX: next steps for the African Continental Free Trade Area. (2019) (chapter lead)
- Blake Reid and Caroline B Ncube Scoping Study on Access to Copyright Protected Works by Persons with Disabilities, WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights, World Intellectual Property Organization, SCCR/38/3 March 13, 2019 (Revision and expansion of SCCR35/3, 2017)
- Caroline B Ncube, Tobias Schonwetter, Jeremy de Beer and Chidi Oguamanam Intellectual Property Rights and Innovation: Assessing Regional Integration in Africa (ARIA VIII) (2017)
- Caroline B Ncube Study on Developing an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Framework in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) 2016
- Submission concerning the dti’s IP Consultative Framework, 2016 (with Yousuf Vawda, Brook Baker, Andrew Rens, Tobias Schonwetter & Achal Prabhala)
- Comments to Parliament on the Copyright Amendment Bill, 2015 (with Coenraad Visser, Tobias Schonwetter, Denise Nicholson, Andrew Rens, Peter Jaszi, Sean Flynn, Brandon Butler, Rebecca Tushnet & Jonathan Band)
- Caroline B Ncube Letter: Clarity on university’s copyright policy, Mail & Guardian, 20 March 2015
- Caroline B Ncube Op-ed: Time to get a reading on VIPs, Cape Times, 13 March 2015
- Caroline B Ncube Push to improve basic education, Cape Times, 6 May 2013
- Caroline B Ncube Comments to Parliament on the draft Protection of Traditional Knowledge Bill, 2013
- Caroline B Ncube ‘ACTA & Access to Learning Materials in Morocco: An Examination of How ACTA Impacts the Creation of a Moroccan Orphan Works Regime’ PIJIP Research Paper no. 2012-01. American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C. Available at http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/research/23/
- Tobias Schonwetter, Caroline B Ncube and Pria Chetty ‘South Africa Country Report: African Copyright and Access to Knowledge (ACA2K) Project’ (2009) available at www.aca2k.org
- Tobias Schonwetter, Caroline B Ncube and Pria Chetty ‘South Africa Executive Policy Brief: ACA2K Project’ (2009) available at www.aca2k.org
- Caroline B Ncube ‘From the law reports: Laugh It Off Promotions CC v South African Breweries International (Finance) B V T/A Sabmark International’Codicillus 2005 (1) 82.
- Caroline B Ncube ‘The dignity of the office of the State President and the freedom of expression: Section 16 (2) (b) of the Public Order and Security Act of 2003 (Zimbabwe)’ Turf Law Review 2004 (1) 12.