Intellectual property protection for e-commerce business methods in South Africa : envisioning an equitable model for SMEs in the tourism industry
- ‘Three Centuries and Counting: The Emergence and Development of Intellectual Property Law in Africa’ in Rochelle C Dreyfuss & Justine Pila (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Intellectual Property Law ( 2018) Oxford University Press 409 – 430
- Using Human Rights to Move Beyond Reformism to Radicalism: A2K for Schools, Libraries and Archives’ in Matthew Callahan and Jim Rogers (eds) A Critical Guide to Intellectual Property (2017) Zed Books 117- 143
- ‘Calibrating Copyright for Creators and Consumers: Promoting Distributive Justice and Ubuntu’ in R. Giblin & K. Weatherall (eds.), What if We Could Reimagine Copyright?, Canberra: ANU Press, (2017) 253 – 280 – SSRN – Publisher’s version
- ‘Data Protection in Zimbabwe’ in Alex B Makulilo (ed) African Data Privacy Laws (2016) Springer 99 – 116
- ‘Intellectual Property protection of Traditional Knowledge and Access to Knowledge in South Africa’ in Matthew Rimmer (ed) Indigenous Intellectual Property: A Handbook of Contemporary Research (2015) Edward Elgar 543 – 564
- ‘South Africa & Zimbabwe: Silencing Critical Voices’ (with E Gray) in Nagla Rizk, Carlos Affonso de Souza and Pranesh Parakesh (ed.s) Global Censorship: Shifting Modes, Persisting Paradigms (2015) Information Society Project, Yale Law School 53-64
- Chapter 3: Fair is as fair does: Contractual normative regulation of copyright user contracts in South Africa’ in GB Dinwoodie (ed) Intellectual Property and General Legal Principles:Is IP a Lex Specialis? (2015) Edward Elgar 49–68
- with L Abrahams and T Akinsanmi. ‘Effects of the South African IP Regime on Generating Value from Publicly Funded Research: An Exploratory Study of Two Universities’ in De Beer, J., Armstrong, C., Oguamanam, C. and Schonwetter, T. (eds.) (2013) Innovation and Intellectual Property: Collaborative Dynamics in Africa, University of Cape Town Press 282 – 315
- with Collier- Reed D. ‘Intellectual Property’ in Fouche M.A. (ed) Legal principles of contracts and commercial law 7ed (2012) Durban: LexisNexis Butterworths 289-306.
- ‘Electronic Commerce’ (original text by D. Collier-Reed). In Fouche M.A. (ed) Legal principles of contracts and commercial law 7ed (2012) Durban: LexisNexis Butterworths 307-314.
- ‘Software Patents’ in S. Papadous and S. Snail (eds). Cyberlaw III @ SA the law of the internet in South Africa 3ed (2012) Van Schaik Publishers 123-136.
- 2010. Contracts of insurance. In D. Collier and K.H. Lehmann (eds), Basic Principles of Business Law, pp. 291-307. Durban: LexisNexis Butterworths. ISBN 9780409019155.
- 2010. Electronic commerce (original text by D. Collier-Reed). In D. Collier and K.H. Lehmann (eds), Basic Principles of Business Law, pp. 515-524. Durban: LexisNexis Butterworths. ISBN 9780409019155.
- with Schonwetter and Chetty, P. ‘South Africa’ in C. Armstrong, J. de Beer, D. Kawooya, A. Prabhala and T. Schonwetter (eds), Access to Knowledge in Africa: The Role of Copyright (2010) . Claremont, CPT: UCT Press 231-280.
- With Schonwetter T & Chetty P ‘A2K in South Africa and Copyright Regulation’ in A. Rens and R Khan (eds) Access to Knowledge in South Africa (2009) The Information Society Project at Yale Law School, 10-52
- With Schonwetter T & Chetty P ‘A2K in South Africa and the Copyright Context ‘ in A. Rens and R Khan (eds) Access to Knowledge in South Africa (2009) 53-112.
- With C Prins & W Singaga ‘Social, ethical and legal issues’ in Satish Jha and Leon Strous (ed.s) IFIP WITFOR 2007: ICT for development and prosperity (2007) IFIP Press, 145-159.
- ‘South Africa’ in Prof M Blackeney (ed.) Border Control of Intellectual Property Rights Sweet and Maxwell (looseleaf publication first published 2003, updated annually till 2010).
- ‘Zimbabwe’ in Prof M Blackeney (ed.) Border Control of Intellectual Property Rights Sweet and Maxwell (looseleaf publication first published 2003, updated annually till 2010)
Journal articles [peer reviewed]
- (with Oriakhogba DO) ‘Monkey Selfie and Authorship in Copyright Law: The Nigerian and South African Perspectives’ PER / PELJ 2018(21) – DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/1727-3781/2018/v21i0a4979
- with De Beer, J., Baarbé, J.) (2018) ‘Evolution of Africa’s intellectual property treaty ratification landscape’ The African Journal of Information and Communication (AJIC), 22, 53-82. https://doi.org/10.23962/10539/26173
- Online copyright infringement, techno-cultural creations and the copyright–technology nexus’, (2018) Int. J. Private Law, Vol. 9, Nos. 1/2, 19–31.
- ‘The Creative Industry and South African Intellectual Property Law’ (2018) 11(2) Law and Development Review Published Online: 2018-04-24 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/ldr-2018-0030
- ‘Decolonising Intellectual Property Law in Pursuit of Africa’s Development‘ (2016) 8(1) WIPO Journal 34 – 40
- ‘Recent Developments in African Regulation of Cybercrime: An Overview of Proposed Changes to the South African Framework’ (2016) 19(7) Journal of Internet Law 3 -20
- ‘Location is everything, on and offline: the Fairhaven domain name dispute’ (2015) 10 (11) Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 817- 818
- ‘The politics of national intellectual property policy design and the provision of health services in South Africa’ (2015) 3 South African Intellectual Property Journal 15 – 39
- ‘The draft national Intellectual Property Policy proposals for improving South Africa’s patent registration system: a review’ (2014) 9 (10) Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice 822-829
- ‘Harnessing Intellectual Property for Development: Some Thoughts On An Appropriate Theoretical Framework’ (2013) 16(4) Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal 370 – 396
- ‘ The Development of Intellectual Property Policies in Africa- Some Key Considerations and a Research Agenda‘ (2013) Intellectual Property Rights: Open Access
- with Laltaika E. ‘A new intellectual property organization for Africa?’ (2013) 8(2) Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 114 – 117
- ‘Copyright Enforcement: The Graduated Response Takes Centre Stage’ ( 2012) 24(2) SA Mercantile Law Journal 133 – 147.
- 2012. Equitable Intellectual Property Protection of Computer Programs in South Africa: Some Proposals for Reform. Stellenbosch Law Review 3:438-461.
- 2011. Key copyright issues in African distance education: a South African case study. Distance Education 32(2):269 – 275.
- with Schonwetter T. 2011. New hope for Africa? Copyright and access to knowledge in the digital age. Info 13(3):64 – 74.
- ‘Transparency and accountability under the new company law (2010) Acta Juridica 43 – 72.
- ‘When are complementary goods similar? Waterford Wedgewood PLC v Assembled Investments (Proprietary) Ltd’ (2010) 127(1) South African Law Journal 51 – 58.
- ‘Enforcing Patent Rights against Goods in Transit: A New Threat to Trans-Border Trade in Generic Medicines‘ (2009) 21 SA Merc LJ 768
- ‘Pre-incorporation contracts: statutory reform’ (2009) 2 SALJ 255
- ‘Protecting business methods in South Africa and Zimbabwe’ (2008) 2 International Journal of Intellectual Property Management 1.
- ‘A proposal to curb excessive executive remuneration’ 2006 (2)Speculum Juris 259
- ‘Watching the watcher: recent developments in privacy regulation and cyber-surveillance in South Africa’ (2006) 3:4 SCRIPT-ed 344 (at http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/script-ed/vol3-4/ncube.asp )
- ‘The legal regulation of identity theft in South Africa’ 2005 (1) Speculum Juris 119.
- ‘Africa confronts cyber-crime’ 2004 (2) Speculum Juris 312.
- ‘A comparative analysis of Zimbabwean and South African Data Protection Systems’, The Journal of Information, Law and Technology (JILT) 2004 (1)http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/elj/jilt/2004_2/ncube/
- Intellectual Property Rights and Innovation: Assessing Regional Integration in Africa (ARIA VIII) (2017) (with Tobias Schonwetter, Jeremy de Beer and Chidi Oguamanam)
- Scoping Study on Access to Copyright Protected Works by Persons with Disabilities, WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights, SCCR35/3, 2017 (with Blake Reid)
- Study on Developing an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Framework in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) 2016
- Submission concerning the dti’s IP Consultative Framework, 2016 (with Yousuf Vawda, Brook Baker, Andrew Rens, Tobias Schonwetter & Achal Prabhala)
- Comments to Parliament on the Copyright Amendment Bill, 2015 (with Coenraad Visser, Tobias Schonwetter, Denise Nicholson, Andrew Rens, Peter Jaszi, Sean Flynn, Brandon Butler, Rebecca Tushnet & Jonathan Band)
Letter: Clarity on university’s copyright policy, Mail & Guardian, 20 March 2015
- Op-ed: Time to get a reading on VIPs, Cape Times, 13 March 2015
- Push to improve basic education, Cape Times, 6 May 2013
- Comments to Parliament on the draft Protection of Traditional Knowledge Bill, 2013
- ‘ACTA & Access to Learning Materials in Morocco: An Examination of How ACTA Impacts the Creation of a Moroccan Orphan Works Regime’ PIJIP Research Paper no. 2012-01. American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C. Available at http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/research/23/
- With Schonwetter T & Chetty P ‘South Africa Country Report: African Copyright and Access to Knowledge (ACA2K) Project’ (2009) available at www.aca2k.org
- With Schonwetter T & Chetty P ‘South Africa Executive Policy Brief: ACA2K Project’ (2009) available at www.aca2k.org
- ‘From the law reports: Laugh It Off Promotions CC v South African Breweries International (Finance) B V T/A Sabmark International’Codicillus 2005 (1) 82.
- ‘The dignity of the office of the State President and the freedom of expression: Section 16 (2) (b) of the Public Order and Security Act of 2003 (Zimbabwe)’ Turf Law Review 2004 (1) 12.